# Summarize YouTube videos to text
Transform hours-long YouTube videos into concise summaries using generative AI and /youtube-summary command in HARPA AI. You can quickly extract key points without sacrificing time watching lengthy videos.
One of the widely utilized functions of HARPA AI is its /summary command, which converts any webpage into a brief summary consisting of three bullet points.
HARPA AI offers a distinct version of the /summary command that is designed for summarizing YouTube videos, called /youtube-summary. This command extracts and summarizes transcripts of YouTube videos, saving you a significant amount of time.
To access this command, simply type /youtube-summary in HARPA AI chat while on a YouTube video page.
The YouTube ChatGPT summary command operates almost instantaneously. You do not have to pause the video. HARPA will seamlessly handle all the required transcript extraction, chunking, networking and interpreting processes in the background.
## How to create YouTube video summary
- Install the free HARPA AI Chrome Extension.
- Connect to ChatGPT in Chrome.
- Navigate to YouTube and open any video of your preference that you'd like to convert to the textual form. Whether it's a musical video or a two-hour interview, the most important factor is that a transcription of the selected video must be available on YouTube.
- Open HARPA AI by clicking its icon in the top right corner or pressing Alt+A (on Windows) and ^+A (on Mac).
- Use the chat interface in HARPA to type /youtube and click the YouTube video summary command. You can use Up and Down arrow-keys to select the command to run.
- Sit back, relax and enjoy the power of AI summarizing the video for you:
## Limitations & Troubleshooting
- Videos that have no transcripts cannot be processed to summaries. You will be promptly notified by HARPA if the transcript is unavailable.
- ChatGPT models are restricted and can not process explicit content or obscene language, vulgar expressions, and so on. This slightly limits the functionality of this feature, but also makes the output highly amusing as AI tries to circumvent awkward phrasing. If you ask a question on a controversial topic, GPT-4 will respond with an answer, but GPT-3.5 might not answer at all if it considers the topic problematic."
- Long video transcripts are broken down into chunks and the summary is provided in segments. This is due to the token limit restriction imposed by ChatGPT.
- On occasion, obtaining response from the generative AI may take some time, due to the time required for processing of lengthy video transcripts, such as those of a prolonged interview.
## Use Cases
Being able to extract key-points from YouTube videos feels like a basic human right. Here is how this functionality being applied:
- 💼 Business professionals harness the power of YouTube summarization to quickly extract and condense the salient points of video presentations or meetings, without sacrificing precious time for a full viewing.
- 🎓 Students improve the learning efficiency by utilizing AI technology to swiftly condense lengthy lectures and presentations into easily digestible summaries, freeing up more time for important work.
- 🧑💼 Freelancers optimize their research methodology by leveraging the capabilities of HARPA AI to succinctly summarize relevant videos, honing in on the crucial information.
- 🕵️️ Data Investigators streamline their fact-finding process by utilizing the speed and accuracy of HARPA AI toolset to effectively summarize interviews and video evidence, enabling them to access the key information with greater speed and efficiency.
HARPA AI /youtube-summary command efficiently extracts and summarizes the transcriptions of YouTube videos, thus saving you valuable time. The YouTube ChatGPT Summary command operates almost instantaneously, eliminating the need to pause the video. It a productivity game-changer.
Try it today, your time is precious!